- Location: Reading
- Email: Mailin Bala
- Direct Telephone: +44 (0) 118 957 7326
- Mobile: +44 (0) 7710 087392
Mailin is a commercial lawyer, specialising in copyright, digital media (including e-commerce) and technology. Her work includes advising clients on a variety of commercial matters which pivot around the exploitation of intellectual property rights and digital products and services, as well as IT related transactions.
Mailin has extensive experience of advising Plcs, multi-nationals and innovative start-ups operating in a range of business sectors, including publishing, media, technology and other sectors that are developing their digital offerings. Her work includes advising in connection with:
- The development and production of intellectual property, as well as its acquisition, protection and exploitation
- The development and sale of digital products and services (including data, e-books, games, audio magazines and in App payment systems) via a variety of platforms, including e-tail, marketplace and crowdfunder sites
- The build of platforms and Apps, using both agile and waterfall methodologies, as well as their ongoing support and maintenance
- Digital collaborations and alliances, including commercial joint ventures
- Merchandising and sponsorship agreements (including involving the distribution of live event recordings over Vevo, Facebook and other social media channels)
Mailin has advised on a number of high profile projects, including in connection with:
- Advising a design and architectural practice in connection with a number of its installations commissioned by high profile brands worldwide, including for the London and Sochi Olympics and for the City of Melbourne
- The build of platforms for Pottermore.com (the digital home of Harry Potter) and Apps for KEO Films
- The commissioning and broadcast agreement for ‘Sarah & Duck’, a hugely successful pre-school animation for CBeebies
- The licensing of content over a variety of platforms, e.g. via Google Books, Pearson College London and Macmillan learning;
- Merchandising and sponsorship agreements in connection with high profile trade marks (including Disney and The Financial Times).
Mailin enjoys yoga, netball and travelling.